Recipe by Oolala
From a supermarket card. This is for a whole roasted chicken. The bed of kosher salt reduces the splattering caused by roasting chicken at high heat. Goes well with green beans and rice.
Top Review by Shelly Morton
This turned out really good. The only change I made to the recipe was that I didn't cook it at such a high temperature. The rub was tasty and the skin got nice and crispy. We'll make again. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 cups kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Lift up the skin and slide your fingers between the breasts and skin all the way up to the legs.
- Pat the chili mixture on the breasts under the skin; rub remaining mixture on the outer skin.
- Tuck the wings under, tie the legs together and place bird in a bed of kosher salt in a roasting pan.
- Roast 15 minutes at 500 degree F. then lower the heat to 450 degees F. and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when pierced.
- Let sit 10 minutes to rest.