Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From a supermarket card. This is for a whole roasted chicken. The bed of kosher salt reduces the splattering caused by roasting chicken at high heat. Goes well with green beans and rice.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 cups kosher salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Lift up the skin and slide your fingers between the breasts and skin all the way up to the legs.
- Pat the chili mixture on the breasts under the skin; rub remaining mixture on the outer skin.
- Tuck the wings under, tie the legs together and place bird in a bed of kosher salt in a roasting pan.
- Roast 15 minutes at 500 degree F. then lower the heat to 450 degees F. and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when pierced.
- Let sit 10 minutes to rest.
This turned out really good. The only change I made to the recipe was that I didn't cook it at such a high temperature. The rub was tasty and the skin got nice and crispy. We'll make again. Thanks for the recipe.