1/2 Photos of Zesty/Peppery/Sweet-Blue Cheese and Date Spread -- or Balls!
2 hrs 5 mins
Modified from an Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC.com) online What's For Dinner recipe, made famous by Ann Sprague of Smyrna, who got the recipe from neighbor Velinda Warda. ---- NOTE: Serve this zesty spread chilled or at room temperature, or make into balls. Great with apple slices, celery sticks, tortilla chips, and/or crackers. I really like this spread with tortilla chips -- you get zesty, peppery-sweet, and salty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups pecans (measured, then toasted and chopped fine)
- 16 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened (lower fat Neufchatel suggested)
- 4 ounces blue cheese (crumbled)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated ~ equals 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large lemon, zest of (save lemon pulp or juice for another purpose)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups pecans (if making into balls ~ Toasted and chopped fine) (optional)
- 1Measure 1 1/2 cups pecans (or double that amount if making cheese balls) into an large iron skillet, toasting over medium heat, stirring constantly ~ remove from heat and finely chop! (Or, preheat oven to 350 degrees ~ Spread pecans on a baking sheet and toast 5 minutes.).
- 2Set nuts aside; they will be added last!
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine (by hand or using an electric mixer), cream cheese, blue cheese cheddar cheese, salt, lemon zest, and freshly grated black pepper until fluffy!
- 4Stir in dates and 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans.
- 5For easier handling, chill for an hour to firm up, if making into cheese balls. Coat with additional toasted, chopped pecans.
- 6Serve this zesty spread (or balls) chilled, or at room temperature, with apple slices, celery sticks. tortilla chips, and/or crackers.
- 7NOTE: Cooking time is the chill time, although I thought the flavor greatly improved after chilling overnight! The recipe can easily be doubled to serve a larger number of people!
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty/Peppery/Sweet-Blue Cheese and Date Spread -- or Balls!
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.9
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 9.0 mg
- Sodium 73.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of