Recipe by Dissie
This is one of my go to recipes when I want to make something that is filling and comes together quickly! If you don't like spicy, watch it on the crushed red pepper. I usually turn it into a casserole and use the oven method, but you can make it in the skillet and be eating in no time! Cooking time is based on eating if directly from skillet and not putting in the oven to make it more of a casserole. This is one of my mothers passed down meals.
- 709.77 ml penne pasta, uncooked
- 453.59 g Italian sausage (ground)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, cut into thin strips
- 737.08 g spaghetti sauce
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 0.25 ml red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml dried sweet basil leaves
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 113.39 g cream cheese, cubed
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 0 parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage and crumble while browning. Drain off grease.
- Add bell peppers and onion, cook and stir 5 minutes until they are tender crisp.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, fennel seed, and red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil.
- Cook the sauce until heated through and then add the cheeses to melt, stirring frequently.
- Drain pasta and add to the spaghetti/sausage mixture. Garnish with more parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread.
- You can simply eat this as is, or you can place in a lightly greased casserole dish and place in preheated 375 degree oven. If you put in oven, top with more cheddar cheese. Serve when cheese has melted and starts to brown and casserole is bubbly!