This is one of my go to recipes when I want to make something that is filling and comes together quickly! If you don't like spicy, watch it on the crushed red pepper. I usually turn it into a casserole and use the oven method, but you can make it in the skillet and be eating in no time! Cooking time is based on eating if directly from skillet and not putting in the oven to make it more of a casserole. This is one of my mothers passed down meals.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb Italian sausage (ground)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, cut into thin strips
- 26 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 parmesan cheese
- 1Cook pasta as directed on package.
- 2Meanwhile, brown sausage and crumble while browning. Drain off grease.
- 3Add bell peppers and onion, cook and stir 5 minutes until they are tender crisp.
- 4Stir in spaghetti sauce, fennel seed, and red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil.
- 5Cook the sauce until heated through and then add the cheeses to melt, stirring frequently.
- 6Drain pasta and add to the spaghetti/sausage mixture. Garnish with more parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread.
- 7You can simply eat this as is, or you can place in a lightly greased casserole dish and place in preheated 375 degree oven. If you put in oven, top with more cheddar cheese. Serve when cheese has melted and starts to brown and casserole is bubbly!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Penne With Sausage and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.9
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 73.8 mg
- Sodium 1661.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 27.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: