Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I make this whenever fresh mushrooms are on sale, and I need a comforting soup. This is from one of those little magazines at the checkout line in the grocery store...I'm glad I had to wait in line the day I found this recipe. This can easily be doubled for 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, tarragon, cayenne, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; gradually add broth, half-and-half and wine.
- Cook 5- 10 minutes until mixtures thickens slightly.
One of the best soups we've ever had - creamy, zesty, and totally memorable. Did I mention easy, too? I made this exactly as written and only wish I'd doubled the recipe as we slurped this up PDQ! The spice was great, the mushroom flavor was pronounced, and actually, a little does go a long way, as this is a rich, delicious, superb soup. Thanks for a winner, Michelle! Lovely.
Excellent! A quick, easy to make creamy mushroom soup accented with tarragon, cayenne pepper and white wine. The wine accents the flavor of the mushrooms and onions to give balance to the cayenne and tarragon. I used small Crimini mushrooms and substituted heavy cream for the half and half because I needed to use it up. DH loves mushrooms and now DH loves Michelle !
I also used 2%fat evaporated milk instead of half and half and it turned out velvety,vreamy and de- licious.Also well appreciated by those sharing our meal.Thanks Michelle