Recipe by Michelle S.
I make this whenever fresh mushrooms are on sale, and I need a comforting soup. This is from one of those little magazines at the checkout line in the grocery store...I'm glad I had to wait in line the day I found this recipe. This can easily be doubled for 4 servings.
Top Review by Lizzie-Babette
One of the best soups we've ever had - creamy, zesty, and totally memorable. Did I mention easy, too? I made this exactly as written and only wish I'd doubled the recipe as we slurped this up PDQ! The spice was great, the mushroom flavor was pronounced, and actually, a little does go a long way, as this is a rich, delicious, superb soup. Thanks for a winner, Michelle! Lovely.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onion.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, tarragon, cayenne, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; gradually add broth, half-and-half and wine.
- Cook 5- 10 minutes until mixtures thickens slightly.