Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Our FAVORITE salad ever. . .it's a spin on one of Giada's recipes. Great as a main dish or as a side. I love the mix of the lettuce, warm salty sausage, creamy cheese and beans along with the sweet dressing. Sure to please anyone!
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage (sweet, traditional or hot)
- 15 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese cubes
- 3⁄4 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 3⁄4 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 green onions, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- Good Seasons Italian dressing (the dry mix)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Mix up the Italian Dressing as per the instructions on the package (I usually add a little extra water, but that's up to you). It is also good to use raspberry flavored vinegar.
- Add honey to the dressing and shake/mix well.
- Brown the sausage, drain and set aside (keeping warm, but not hot).
- In the meanwhile place the lettuce on the bottom of a big bowl.
- Top with the tomatoes, both types of beans, green onions and finally the cheese.
- Top the salad with the warm sausage.
- Pour 3 or 4 turns of the dressing over the salad and mix well with tongs. Add more dressing if you like, but be forwarned that a little dressing goes a long way with this salad.
This was very different. The sausage was a little weird in the salad but it was a nice change, I guess. We would have liked it alot better without the beans as they gave it a strange texture that we didn't care for. Thanks JanuaryBride for something a little different! Made for Aussie/NZ Swap #31.
Very good, very unique. My kids asked to take the leftovers for their lunch rather than buying the school's lunch. Salad! Kids preferring salad over mac & cheese?!! I used sweet Italian sausage, but next time I'll make my own Italian sausage using ground turkey to it a little more low in fat. I made this for Spring 2008 PAC. Thanks, Jen, for a great recipe that we will make over and over again.