Recipe by JanuaryBride
Our FAVORITE salad ever. . .it's a spin on one of Giada's recipes. Great as a main dish or as a side. I love the mix of the lettuce, warm salty sausage, creamy cheese and beans along with the sweet dressing. Sure to please anyone!
Top Review by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This was very different. The sausage was a little weird in the salad but it was a nice change, I guess. We would have liked it alot better without the beans as they gave it a strange texture that we didn't care for. Thanks JanuaryBride for something a little different! Made for Aussie/NZ Swap #31.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage (sweet, traditional or hot)
- 15 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese cubes
- 3⁄4 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 3⁄4 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 green onions, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- Good Seasons Italian dressing (the dry mix)
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix up the Italian Dressing as per the instructions on the package (I usually add a little extra water, but that's up to you). It is also good to use raspberry flavored vinegar.
- Add honey to the dressing and shake/mix well.
- Brown the sausage, drain and set aside (keeping warm, but not hot).
- In the meanwhile place the lettuce on the bottom of a big bowl.
- Top with the tomatoes, both types of beans, green onions and finally the cheese.
- Top the salad with the warm sausage.
- Pour 3 or 4 turns of the dressing over the salad and mix well with tongs. Add more dressing if you like, but be forwarned that a little dressing goes a long way with this salad.