Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a magazine quite a few years ago. This is a really different meatloaf that packs a lot of flavor. You can kick up the heat by adding more jalapenos, whatever suits your taste. This meatloaf does not have a sauce on top, just because that's the way I like it!!! This makes 2 loaves, and it freezes very well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapenos (seeds & ribs removed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Mix oil, diced onion, garlic, celery, and jalapeno in a pan on medium heat. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add salt, nutmeg, and cumin to pan. Stir to combine.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, ketchup, and bread crumbs. Stir well.
- Then add the meat and cooked veggies and combine well.
- Put into 2 loaf pans and cook about 1 hour or until internal temp is 165.
With the addition of pork in this recipe, it was not as dense as your normal meatloaf. I'll add some seeds next time for a zesty kick to my meatloaf. Made this into 4 mini loaves, baked in a stoneware pan, at 375 for 60 minutes. Thanks for posting. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011