Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Would you believe this came in the Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer Manual? It sounded delicious and I poked around to see if there was a recipe like it already. None there! I'm an easy to please mashed potato eater. I like the instant stuff, but this seems easy and yummy. I have discovered that sometimes it's more satisfying to smash the hell out of potatoes with a hand masher rather than the mixer! Thank you jellyko for your potato directions. I pilfered from another mashed potato recipe where you made a comment describing how to cook these suckers.
- 8 large baking potatoes (peeled, cubed, cooked, and drained)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Start by placing a healthy amount of cold water in a big enough pan to contain and boil your potatoes.
- Place peeled, cubed potatoes in said pan and heat until boiling.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain and place back in pan over heat 30 seconds to remove excess water.
- Place hot potatoes into a large bowl.
- Start mixing the potatoes at medium speed with a mixer (of course they mean hamilton beach mixer, but if you have a hand masher, have at it!) until they are smooth.
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, butter, milk, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Continue beating (smashing!)until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
I looked at this and thought it was going to be the same as so many others. Wrong, it was super and really different. Followed exactly except I halved the recipe and used an 8X8 baking pan. All is perfect with this one. Thanks, will keep and bake some more!