Recipe by gailanng
Quick to prepare and party-worthy. Keeps well refrigerated for several weeks. From Fine Cooking. No cooking is required, but I included 24 hours for marinating as the cook time.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This has all my favorite seasonings for olives, and has great flavor. I made this exactly as posted, including the dried red pepper flakes and used a combination of finely grated zest and large strips of zest. It really does need to marinate overnight, so you can't rush this, but it's well worth it. Love the lemony flavor! Made for ZWT 8.
- 1 pint oil packed olives (green or black or a mix and cerignola olives work especially well) or 1 pint brine packed olive (green or black or a mix and cerignola olives work especially well)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs rosemary or 3 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 big pinch dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 medium lemons, zest (see instruction #2)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- If using brine-packed olives, drain them. In a medium bowl, combine the olives, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, herb sprigs, fennel seeds, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Zest the lemons (yellow only) in whatever size zest you like--a mix of finely grated zest for the brightest flavor and larger strips for color. Add the zest and oil to the olives and mix well. Pour and scrape into a covered jar and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors mingle before serving.