Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I was getting tired of the same old pot roast and I had some onion soup mix, and Italian herbs. So I started to play and I came up with this. If you try this I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to cut back on some of the herbs and spices if you like. I put this on the shortest time, as crock pot times vary. Posted on September 14th 2005.
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chuck roast (or your favorite cut)
- in a small bowl, combine all seasonings, mixing well.
- pierce roast all over.
- rub in seasonings.
- place in crock pot, cover with lid.
- cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- serve on buns if desired.
We reduced the amount of cayenne to 1/8 teaspoon (don't do spicy very well) and added 1/4 cup of red wine (just for moisture). This turned out very tender. We didn't need all 8 hours for the meat to be done...ours was done in about 6 in our slow cooker.