Prep 12 mins
Cook 10 mins
This came from the BHG website. Quick, easy and great tasting.
Make and share this Zesty Italian Peasant Bread Appetizer recipe from Food.com.
- 12 inches Italian bread (Boboli)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 1⁄3 cup blue cheese or 1⁄3 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon oregano or 1 tablespoon basil or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed of any of the above spices
- fresh rosemary (optional) or oregano sprigs (optional) or basil sprig (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place bread shell on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Mix together oil, garlic and pepper.
- Brush over bread shell.
- Sprinkle with tomato, cheese and snipped fresh or crushed dried herb.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or till warm and cheese softens "slightly".
- Cut bread into 12 wedges.
- If desired garnish with fresh herb sprigs.
- Serve hot.
Thanks Doris! This was an easy and fun addition to my Italian appetizer theme. The house smelled great and I used the dried herb (oregano) and sprinkled some fresh rosemary as well. The fresh garlic and olive oil complemented the feta cheese which was slightly gooey but still in its little crumbles. It looked great too. It got eaten up quickly. Enjoy! ChefDLH
We love breads like this. I used italian bread slices, not the boboli. I mixed the garlic, oil, fresh ground pepper with the herbs all together. (I used oregano and basil) I spread this mixture onto the slices and sprinkled the tomato and gorgonzola cheese on top. I baked them for a few minutes in the oven. It was heavenly, not to mention the wonderful aroma from the garlic. I intend to use the boboli bread next time and will sprinkle the herbs as directed in the recipe. This is a keeper, thanks Doris!