1/2 Photos of Zesty Italian Hamburger Helper Soup
Domestic Goddess's Note:
This hearty "delicious" ground beef soup was prepared using a box of Hamburger Helper, canned tomatoes (stewed and Rotel), beef broth, corn, green beans, carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box Betty Crocker's hamburger helper, Zesty Italian (or a 6.4 oz. box Hamburger Helper, Italian Lasagna)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups canned beef broth
- 14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 10 ounces rotel original diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (frozen, or corn in a can, drained)
- 8 ounces frozen green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1Spray the inside of a Dutch oven or soup kettle, with a no-stick cooking spray.
- 2In the Dutch oven or kettle, add the ground beef, and season beef with a bit of black pepper. (Do not add salt to this recipe!).
- 3Brown the ground beef three quarters of the way, over medium heat; stirring to break up the meat.
- 4Add the onions, and sprinkle onions with a bit of the pepper, then add the garlic.
- 5Finish browning the beef and cooking the onions and garlic, this will just take a minute or two.
- 6In the meantime, cook the frozen green beans in a microwave, till they are about three quarters of the way done; drain beans and set them aside. (Note: I sprinkled the green beans with a bit of black pepper, before microwaving them.).
- 7Add the following ingredients to the kettle of cooked beef, the seasoning packet from the boxed hamburger helper, the beef broth, stewed tomatoes, the Rotel Tomatoes, zucchini, sliced baby carrots, whole kernel corn, the cooked green beans, and the Italian seasoning.
- 8Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer, cover, and simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- 9Uncover the kettle, stir the soup, and add the package of penne pasta, that's included in the box of hamburger helper.
- 10Bring soup to a second boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover, and simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
- 11Remove soup from heat, stir the soup, and serve.
- 12Note: I noticed after making this soup and using the 6.4 oz. box of Italian Lasagna Hamburger Helper (with the mini lasagna noodles in the box) verses the Zesty Italian (which adds mini penne pasta to the box), the next day when I reheated the soup, I had to add a bit more liquid, as the soup had thickened, and it had the consistency of a goulash. Since the mini lasagna noodles seem to absorb the liquid, I added more broth (a 1/2 cup) plus I added some V-8 Spicy Hot Vegetable Juice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Italian Hamburger Helper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.2
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 1405.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Betty Crocker's hamburger helper