Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I had some ham left over from another meal and wanted to use it up, so I went to the pantry to see what kind of a soup I could throw together. The following recipe is what I came up with, and if I say so myself, it came out hearty and delicious! You may of course use different kinds of beans or spices as well as frozen carrots and/or canned tomatoes, but I prefer to use fresh ingredients when I have them on hand. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 small shallots, chopped small
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ham, chopped small
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, chopped small
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook until beginning to brown, then stir ham into the pot.
- Add all canned ingredients, then the carrots and all the spices.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pot for one hour.
- Add chopped tomatoes and continue to heat on low for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with shredded cheese if you like.