1/5 Photos of Zesty Chops With Onions and Cheese
Fire up the grill for a batch of these savory, marinated chops with a spicy, flavorful topping of onions, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, and sharp, cheddar cheese. Its easy enough for a family meal but special enough for guest. No grill? The broiler will do the job. Note: Cooking time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 pork chops (not thin-cut)
- 1 cup beer
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed in press
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1Mix together all marinade ingredients. Put chops in wide, shallow pan and pour marinade over them. Marinade 2-4 hours, refrigerated, turning chops every half hour or so. (Boneless chops may be marinated in a plastic, zipper bag but bone-in chops frequently puncture the plastic).
- 2Preheat grill to medium. Grill the chops 7-12 minutes on the first side then 5-7 minutes on the second side or until almost but not quite cooked to desired doneness. Remove from heat if topping is not finished.
- 3While chops are grilling, sauté onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until about half-cooked.
- 4Add jalapeños and cherry tomato halves and continue sautéing until onions are soft and beginning to brown.
- 5Turn grill to low heat. Top each chop with a pile of the onion mix and about 2 tbs shredded cheddar.
- 6Close the grill lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- 7Use a pancake turner to remove chops to a large platter in a single layer.
- 8I suggest cornbread and a salad of cucumbers in sour cream for sides. Extra topping can be served on the side. You may even want to make extra for the purpose.
- 9If you like some heat but the jalapeños are too hot for you try the milder Anaheim peppers. If you don’t like heat at all try some of the “Cubanelle” frying peppers or regular bell peppers.
- 10Note – I suggest cooking the chops to medium-well rather than well-done. Modern pigs are bred to be lean so modern pork is inevitably dry and tough when cooked as well done as was customary in the past.
- 11Note – Do not over-marinate. Beer marinades are apt to be bitter if the meat is soaked too long.
- 12Note – Try the topping on steak or chicken next time.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Chops With Onions and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.4
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 241.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 46.9 g