Recipe by marisk
This recipe was originally a Del Monte recipe. It's in process of becoming something else … hopefully better :)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef (15% fat free)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium maui onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomatoes, roughly chopped (or 14.5 oz canned tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 26 ounces beef stock
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy pot, fry the bacon; stirring frequently, until browned and slightly crispy. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the ground beef and pork, stirring occassionally until almost done.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring occassionally, until onons are slightly tranluscent.
- Add the water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Add cayenne, black pepper, bay leaf, chili powder, cumin, oregano and fresh tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- NOTE: When grocer is out of ground beef and/or pork, I purchase the pre-chopped meats used for stir-fry dishes and just chop them a bit more and use that.