Recipe by cowgirl_cook
Originally my grandma's recipe, but I've tweaked it over the years to be a little healthier and a lot zestier. One of the staples in our family, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 8 frozen chicken breast halves or 4 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice (brown mixed with wild rice is the best!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can 98% fat free condensed cream of celery soup or 1 (14 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 21 ounces milk (use the soup can and measure 1 1/2 cans of milk)
- 14 ounces water (again, use the soup can and measure 1 can full)
- 4 ounces ortega hot green chili peppers
- 1 (6 ounce) package French-fried onions or 1 (6 ounce) package slivered almonds
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and sprinkle uncooked rice evenly over the bottom.
- Layer frozen chicken on top of the rice.
- Combine the soups, liquids, and Ortega chilies in a bowl. Pour mixture over the chicken and rice - DO NOT MIX.
- Top with french fried onions or almonds and sprinkle with cayenne and black pepper to taste.
- Cook uncovered for 2 1/2 hours or until all the liquid is absorbed, and enjoy!