Recipe by Karamia
This soup is so good and healthy for you too. It has lots of veggies and lots of flavor. If it's too spicy for you, serve with a dollop of sour cream. From Taste of Home magazine.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken in a Dutch oven or big soup pot and add water; bring water to a boil.
- Cover and bring chicken to a simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken juices are clear.
- Take chicken out of water and cube into 1/2 inch pieces; place chicken back into water, but do not have heat on.
- In another skillet, cook the onion, celery and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender; add to the chicken and water.
- Add the next 11 ingredients to chicken and sauted vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for about 20-30 minutes or until zucchini and carrots are tender.
- Serve with cheese on top, tortilla chips and sour cream, if desired. Soup can freeze up to 3 months.