Recipe by Sarah
Made for RSC #11. A nice spicy and zesty twist to plain old crumbed chicken. I used wholemeal bread crumbs in this recipe, you could easily use plain crumbs or even cornflake crumbs in its place. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS CHICKEN! Except for cutting back on the amount of chili pepper flakes, I made this as directed! Really enjoyed the gouda cheese & lime combo here, & used bread crumbs I made from some winter wheat bread! My cooking time here was right at 3/4 of an hour & we had AN OUTSTANDING CHICKEN DINNER! Thanks for A GREAT KEEPER! [Tagged, made & reviewed in All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag]
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon key lime zest
- 2 teaspoons dried cayenne chili pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Slice chicken in half longways, being careful not to cut all the way through and open out like a book.
- Cover in plastic wrap and pound chicken until less than 1/2 inch thick.
- Place 1 piece of cheese on each chicken breast and fold over to enclose. Secure with toothpicks, and set aside.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper, spread out on a plate.
- Whisk egg with lime juice, place in bowl.
- Combine breadcrumbs with lime zest and cayenne pepper flakes, mix well. Spread out on plate.
- With one chicken breast at a time, cover with flour, shaking off excess.
- Cover chicken with egg mix, shake off excess and put breast in crumb mixture. Turn to coat well and press crumbs onto chicken.
- Grease an oven proof dish (or spray with non-stick spray). Add chicken to dish and place in oven for 60 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.