Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Made for RSC #11. A nice spicy and zesty twist to plain old crumbed chicken. I used wholemeal bread crumbs in this recipe, you could easily use plain crumbs or even cornflake crumbs in its place. Enjoy!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon key lime zest
- 2 teaspoons dried cayenne chili pepper flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Slice chicken in half longways, being careful not to cut all the way through and open out like a book.
- Cover in plastic wrap and pound chicken until less than 1/2 inch thick.
- Place 1 piece of cheese on each chicken breast and fold over to enclose. Secure with toothpicks, and set aside.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper, spread out on a plate.
- Whisk egg with lime juice, place in bowl.
- Combine breadcrumbs with lime zest and cayenne pepper flakes, mix well. Spread out on plate.
- With one chicken breast at a time, cover with flour, shaking off excess.
- Cover chicken with egg mix, shake off excess and put breast in crumb mixture. Turn to coat well and press crumbs onto chicken.
- Grease an oven proof dish (or spray with non-stick spray). Add chicken to dish and place in oven for 60 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS CHICKEN! Except for cutting back on the amount of chili pepper flakes, I made this as directed! Really enjoyed the gouda cheese & lime combo here, & used bread crumbs I made from some winter wheat bread! My cooking time here was right at 3/4 of an hour & we had AN OUTSTANDING CHICKEN DINNER! Thanks for A GREAT KEEPER! [Tagged, made & reviewed in All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag]
This was gorgeous!! I had some gouda cheese on hand not slices so I cut into strips. I also had just bought some soft cheese with truffle aroma through it, so I used both, yummo. I made everything else the same except for using panko flakes instead of breadcrumbs they crisp up so well. I loved the spice that came through and the crispy coating with tender chicken breast oozing with cheese was gorgeous. I don't know the amounts I used as I was cutting from a block of cheese, but it was awesome. I also did cook for about 40 Min's as this was the perfect amount of time, I think longer would have been too much. Apart from that this was so good and I will be making again.. Great post
5 Star - This was a very good recipe I didn't use wholemeal bread crumbs so I used the white bread crumbs. I also used egg substituted but other then this kept to the written recipe. I had the gouda cheese stay in some of the chicken but most of it seeped out. However overall the flavour was yummy - Thank you RSC #11 Chef