Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Sounds like a great way to "spice" up and colour up cauliflower. Haven't tried this one yet but looking forward to doing so.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 1 head cauliflower, cut in pieces
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup havarti cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives (chopped) (optional) or 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook onion for 3 minute until softened.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk and bring to simmer stirring constantly.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened DO NOT BOIL.
- Cook cauliflower in boiling salted water until tender and drain well.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cheese and salt and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour over cauliflower to serve and sprinkle with chives or flakes if using.
Great way to do cauliflower. The sauce is thick and rich. I used both red pepper flakes and dried chives (about 1 tsp each). It was zesty! If you don't like "zesty", just skip the red pepper flakes and you'll still love it. I'll make this again; maybe even for broccoli. Thanx for sharing.