Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wonderful bread to serve with chili or thick hearty stews. This recipe comes from a Betty Crocker cookbooklet.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray (I use Pam).
- Combine the buttermilk, butter, sugar, chilies and eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Spread in the loaf pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
I needed to use up some chipotle chiles and found this recipe. This bread packs a punch if you get a piece of chile. DH loved it though (had 3 pieces!). The chile measurement ended up being 2 chiles for me. I used a colby-jack combination for the cheese and did grease the pan well.
Great Bread. I did use the cheddar cheese, but next time, I think I am going to go with a pepper jack also. Quick and easy bread that will go well with just about any meal. Took LHM's advise and greased the pan good, and didn't have any problems getting it to release.
Great quick bread! We had this for dinner tonight with Ham and Bean soup. Only change I made was to use Cheddar-jack, just because I needed to use it up. Mine would not budge from the pan, so I'll grease it well next time. Light texture, crisp outside, with the perfect amount of heat from the chipotle. Thanks, Dreamgoddess, for sharing!