Recipe by TaterBug! :)
This is my recipe for cornbread and I think it is great! You can make this mild or spicy, it only depends on the heat level of your chilies. I buy the fire roasted mild green chilies which are very good. I also like to use sharp cheddar because I think that it is more flavorful. You can use regular or buttermilk, I prefer buttermilk as the cornbread comes out more moist. Enjoy! Be careful to mix this only until combined in order to avoid it getting tough.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 7 ounces hot green chili peppers (fire roasted)
- 6 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together well flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat eggs, buttermilk, oil together until well mixed.
- Add shredded cheddar and chilies to flour mixture and stir.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed. Do not overmix as this will make tough cornbread.
- I use a 9x9x2 in pan and bake for 27-35 minutes at 400°F, depending on your oven.
- As another variation I like to add a half cup or so of roasted corn (drained) and cut back on the amount of chilies and cheese.