Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
No browning is necessary for the rich, one-pot stew. Just toss the cubed beef with garlic paste and roast it without adding liquid. Use a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid to keep in the moisture.
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 lbs beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package pearl onions
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- With the flat side of a knife, crush the garlic with ¼ tsp salt to make paste.
- Combine the garlic paste, beef, remaining ½ tsp salt and pepper in a heavy dutch oven.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain in colander.
- Cut off stem end and peel.
- Stir onion and tomatoes and chilies with liquid into beef mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes longer until meat and onions are tender.