Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 1814.36 g lean boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 354.88 ml ketchup
- 59.14 ml brown sugar, packed
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml prepared dijon-style mustard
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml liquid smoke
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 12 hamburger buns
- In large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire and liquid smoke.
- Stir in salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place chuck roast in a slow cooker.
- Pour ketchup mixture over chuck roast, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove chuck roast from cooker, shred with a fork and return to slow cooker.
- Stir meat to evenly coat with sauce; continue cooking approximately 1 hour.
- Spoon meat onto toasted buns and top with additional barbecue sauce, as desired.
Feb 4th 2008. This was the first thing I have ever made in a crock pot and I really am just a guy learning how to cook. But I got a few tips and I made it for my Super Bowl Party and EVERYone loved it. I changed the recipe a bit though, I poured in the pot a can of rootbeer and a can of pineapple chunks first added the roast, cooked it for eight hours. The carbonation of the soda made it so tender I then strained the rootbeer out of the crockpot leaving only the pineapple chunks. I then stirred in the BBQ sauce and let it cook on low for another 2 hours. My guest were in heaven! thanks!!!
I made the sandwiches for a group of men and boys for a wrestling ppv party and they were a hit. I altered the recipe to accomodate 6 lbs of boneless country style pork ribs (making sure to remove as much fat as I can) I had to work on the day of the party, so I cooked this in the crock the day before and just heated it for the party. This recipe is great for working mothers like myself that want to cook something tasty and filling but don't have the time to do it. I felt the sauce could have been "zestier," but I wouldn't change a thing because this recipe was was a hit with the boys and easy to make. I will definately make this one again.
I made this exactly as written, but without the liquid smoke as I didn't have any. It makes excellent shredded beef -really tasty and not too spicy or overly sweet. It smells fabulous while cooking, and makes a large amount. I will definitely make this again.