Top Review by Shuffler
Feb 4th 2008. This was the first thing I have ever made in a crock pot and I really am just a guy learning how to cook. But I got a few tips and I made it for my Super Bowl Party and EVERYone loved it. I changed the recipe a bit though, I poured in the pot a can of rootbeer and a can of pineapple chunks first added the roast, cooked it for eight hours. The carbonation of the soda made it so tender I then strained the rootbeer out of the crockpot leaving only the pineapple chunks. I then stirred in the BBQ sauce and let it cook on low for another 2 hours. My guest were in heaven! thanks!!!
- 4 lbs lean boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire and liquid smoke.
- Stir in salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place chuck roast in a slow cooker.
- Pour ketchup mixture over chuck roast, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove chuck roast from cooker, shred with a fork and return to slow cooker.
- Stir meat to evenly coat with sauce; continue cooking approximately 1 hour.
- Spoon meat onto toasted buns and top with additional barbecue sauce, as desired.