Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was introduced to grits from my best friends mother. She was a true southern bell. Though I liked grits, I thought I could improve on their taste. Don't get me wrong I still love plain grits and butter, but this version has some kick and a whole lotta flavor. My daughter and I love this on Saturday morning or even on a cold afternoon. I always make this on our camping trips. I think Ruby would be proud of my grits.
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 cups water
- 6 large eggs
- 12 slices American cheese
- 8 -10 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb bacon
- Place water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- While you wait for the water to come to a boil, fry the bacon till crispy. Crumble the bacon and set it aside. (Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I'll use 1 cup Hormel Real Bacon Bits).
- Once water comes to a boil, dump in the Grits and return to a boil. Once you return to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- In a non-stick frying pan crack the 6 eggs in the pan together. Nows the time to add the Tobascco to the eggs. Slowly stir the egg whites so their fully cook. Use care not to break or overcook the yokes (runny yokes are what your trying to achieve).
- Once the whites are cooked spread the crumbled bacon and slices of cheese over the eggs. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Once the grits have become the consistency of mash potatoes add the eggs and stir. Make sure you stir well and break up the egg yokes and whites.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Feel free to modify as you like, that's what make cooking fun.