Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The office I work at is doing our version of the biggest looser. In an effort to still serve soup, and everyone being able to enjoy it, I came up with this simple and easy recipe. It must have been good because 5 minutes after putting out the soup I went to get some for myself ...but it was all gone!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 8 cups napa cabbage (sliced and chopped)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs mixed vegetables (frozen, I use the one that had the lima beans added to it)
- 29 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes (Hunts makes these and that would be 2 cans)
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (I used 1 packet of Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Over medium high heat, in a large pot add the extra virgin olive oil and the onion, celery, garlic, and cabbage.
- Fry for 10-15 minutes or until onions and cabbage have a nice brown color, stirring frequently to make sure you get all the little goodies off the bottom of the pot.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add the frozen vegetables, tomatoes, vegetable stock, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, allspice, and salt and pepper.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the sugar and vinegar. This does two things; it helps neutralize the gas of the cabbage and also the acid of the tomato.
- Enjoy! On Weight Watchers this is a zero point soup.
Made it as written and then dumped all in the crockpot to finish cooking. Yum! It doesn't matter if it's 1 pt or 0 pts. It's healthy.
1 POINT - according to the WeightWatchers points finder this is 1 point per serving. This is also according to the nutrition facts the poster has listed to the left.