Prep 30 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This is a Recipe for people who like to eat Spicy Indian Food but do not want Oil in their food.
Make and share this Zero Oil Channa (Chick Peas) Masala recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg kabuli channa (Chick Peas or Garbanzo Beans)
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 teaspoon kala namak
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon clove powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- baking soda (optional)
- Soak Kabuli Channa overnight (To avoid this step, use canned Garbanzo Beans available at any Super Market).
- Boil the Channa over slow heat in a covered pot with lots of water and salt (no need to add salt later).
- Keep checking the level of water often.
- Boil till channa is soft and can be broken by pressing between fingers.
- This can take several hours.
- Time can be reduced by adding baking soda (but I would not recommend).
- Mix all spices together in a bowl.
- Once the Channa is boiled and done add the spice mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Do not leave much water.
- Garnish with Chopped Coriander.
- Clove powder can make it spicy and hot. If you do not like it spicy avoid clove powder.
- If you want to make it tangy increase the quantity of Dry Mango Powder or add a little tamaring juice.
h i tried it and it was awesome. And to my delight my patients find it good too.