Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious way to lose weight! There are three variations so you never have to get tired of the same old thing! Adopted from "Moosewood Restaraunt New Classics" cookbook. Enjoy!
- 946.36 ml nonfat vegetable broth or 946.36 ml vegetarian chicken broth
- 473.18 ml diced onions
- 236.59 ml diced celery
- 236.59 ml peeled and diced carrot
- 236.59 ml green beans (or asparagus, brussel sprouts,eggplant, cauliflower)
- 354.88 ml finely chopped green cabbage (or try spinach, swiss chard, or other greens)
- 236.59 ml diced red bell pepper (may sub green peppers, okra, summer squash)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 709.77 ml diced tomatoes with juice (28 oz. can)
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried dill
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- Heat the broth in a soup pot.
- Add the first seven vegetables one at a time.
- Stir in the tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar, basil, oregano, dill, thyme, and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- add salt to taste.
- Variation 1:.
- For Mexican Zero Soup,add zucchini and minced chiles and replace the herbs with cumin, coriander, and cilantro.
- Use lime juice instead of vinegar.
- Variation 2:.
- For Hungarian Zero Soup, add mushrooms and replace the basil, oregano, and thyme with paprika, marjoram, and more dill.
- Top with nofat sour cream.
- Variation 3:.
- For Asian Zero Soup, replace the cabbage with bok choy and add straw mushrooms.
- Replace the herbs with grated fresh ginger root and minced scallions.
- Top with mung bean sprouts.
- To freeze: Prepare soup as directed. Allow to cool and place in freezer containers or bags. Freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge and reheat on stovetop until hot.
Great soup! I used green beans, spinach, and red bell pepper for the optional ingredients. I lowered the sodium a bit by using low-sodium chicken broth, no salt added tomatoes, and omitting the salt. I used the original version this time, but look forward to trying out the others. Thanks for sharing!
I needed to make a large pot of vegetable soup to kick start my return to Weight Watchers, and this recipe is perfect! It was great as posted, but I plan to try the variations to keep from getting bored. Unlike other reviews, I did not find any ingredient overpowered...a wonderful combination.
Made for the Sharon 123 Cookathon
I know that cabbage is really good for you especially when trying to lose weight, but I felt they overpowered everything else; all I could taste was the cabbage which was a shame considering all the other goodies in the soup.