1/13 Photos of Zero Fat Soup
This is a delicious way to lose weight! There are three variations so you never have to get tired of the same old thing! Adopted from "Moosewood Restaraunt New Classics" cookbook. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups nonfat vegetable broth or 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 cup green beans (or asparagus, brussel sprouts,eggplant, cauliflower)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green cabbage (or try spinach, swiss chard, or other greens)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (may sub green peppers, okra, summer squash)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced tomatoes with juice (28 oz. can)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Heat the broth in a soup pot.
- 2Add the first seven vegetables one at a time.
- 3Stir in the tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar, basil, oregano, dill, thyme, and pepper.
- 4Simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- 5add salt to taste.
- 7Variation 1:.
- 8For Mexican Zero Soup,add zucchini and minced chiles and replace the herbs with cumin, coriander, and cilantro.
- 9Use lime juice instead of vinegar.
- 10Variation 2:.
- 11For Hungarian Zero Soup, add mushrooms and replace the basil, oregano, and thyme with paprika, marjoram, and more dill.
- 12Top with nofat sour cream.
- 13Variation 3:.
- 14For Asian Zero Soup, replace the cabbage with bok choy and add straw mushrooms.
- 15Replace the herbs with grated fresh ginger root and minced scallions.
- 16Top with mung bean sprouts.
- 17To freeze: Prepare soup as directed. Allow to cool and place in freezer containers or bags. Freeze.
- 18To serve: Thaw in fridge and reheat on stovetop until hot.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zero Fat Soup
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.1
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 814.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: