Recipe by Sharon123
This is a delicious way to lose weight! There are three variations so you never have to get tired of the same old thing! Adopted from "Moosewood Restaraunt New Classics" cookbook. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
I needed to make a large pot of vegetable soup to kick start my return to Weight Watchers, and this recipe is perfect! It was great as posted, but I plan to try the variations to keep from getting bored. Unlike other reviews, I did not find any ingredient overpowered...a wonderful combination.
Made for the Sharon 123 Cookathon
- 4 cups nonfat vegetable broth or 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 cup green beans (or asparagus, brussel sprouts,eggplant, cauliflower)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped green cabbage (or try spinach, swiss chard, or other greens)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (may sub green peppers, okra, summer squash)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced tomatoes with juice (28 oz. can)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the broth in a soup pot.
- Add the first seven vegetables one at a time.
- Stir in the tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar, basil, oregano, dill, thyme, and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- add salt to taste.
- Variation 1:.
- For Mexican Zero Soup,add zucchini and minced chiles and replace the herbs with cumin, coriander, and cilantro.
- Use lime juice instead of vinegar.
- Variation 2:.
- For Hungarian Zero Soup, add mushrooms and replace the basil, oregano, and thyme with paprika, marjoram, and more dill.
- Top with nofat sour cream.
- Variation 3:.
- For Asian Zero Soup, replace the cabbage with bok choy and add straw mushrooms.
- Replace the herbs with grated fresh ginger root and minced scallions.
- Top with mung bean sprouts.
- To freeze: Prepare soup as directed. Allow to cool and place in freezer containers or bags. Freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge and reheat on stovetop until hot.