Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This is a real simple recipe to make doughnuts. It's an italian doughnut that is a little bigger than a doughnut hole but is thick like a cake doughnut. Awesome tasting.
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- olive oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut open the vanilla bean lengthwise. Using the back of a knife, scrape along the inside of the vanilla bean to collect the seeds. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into a small bowl.
- Add the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter, salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour. Return pan to the heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a medium bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer on low speed, add eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Beat until smooth.
- If not frying immediately, cover with plastic wrap and reserve in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F.
- Using a small ice-cream scooper or 2 small spoons, carefully drop about a tablespoon of the dough into the hot olive oil, frying in batches.
- Turn the zeppole once or twice, cooking until golden and puffed up, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Toss with cinnamon-sugar. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.