Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
This is a real simple recipe to make doughnuts. It's an italian doughnut that is a little bigger than a doughnut hole but is thick like a cake doughnut. Awesome tasting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut open the vanilla bean lengthwise. Using the back of a knife, scrape along the inside of the vanilla bean to collect the seeds. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into a small bowl.
- 2Add the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- 3In a medium saucepan combine the butter, salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- 4Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour. Return pan to the heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Transfer the flour mixture to a medium bowl.
- 6Using an electric hand mixer on low speed, add eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Beat until smooth.
- 7If not frying immediately, cover with plastic wrap and reserve in the refrigerator.
- 8Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F.
- 9Using a small ice-cream scooper or 2 small spoons, carefully drop about a tablespoon of the dough into the hot olive oil, frying in batches.
- 10Turn the zeppole once or twice, cooking until golden and puffed up, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- 11Toss with cinnamon-sugar. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zeppole (Fried Italian Doughnuts)
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.8
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 45.4 mg
- Sodium 63.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: