Recipe by Jamilahs_Kitchen
Fried Dough with Fish from The Roseto Cuisine Cookbook. posted for ZWT7. This delicious recipe is a traditional part of the luncheon prior to the Christmas Eve dinner. Also nice for Ramadan.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies (lightly boiled smelts or cod "baccala" may be substituted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of water taken from recipe.
- Mix flour with salt in a large bowl. make a well and add remaining cup of warm water, yeast, eggs and oil.
- Mix well.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer. With a greased tablespoon, dip out a rounded tablespoon of dough and flatten on the palm of your hand. Place fish along the center, fold shut, twist and fry until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.