Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that comes from my late Uncle Red. I wanted to post this in honor of him. I saw that there were no recipes for zeppole and I knew he had one. I called my cousin for the recipe and posted it here to share with everyone.
- Beat Eggs.
- Set aside.
- Put yeast in warm water and dissolve according to the package's instructions.
- Mix the yeast with the beaten eggs.
- Set aside.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Combine the egg/yeast mixture with the dry mixture.
- Mix well.
- Batter should be thicker than pancake batter.
- Put batter in a bowl and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Place in a warm spot and cover with a towel.
- Warm the oil.
- To test if the oil is hot enough, drop in a small amount of batter.
- If it sizzles the oil is ready.
- Take a spoonful of batter (about the size of a golf ball) and carefully drop into the oil.
- The zeppole do not have to be perfectly smooth and round.
- Be sure not to touch the spoon to the oil, as this will cool the temperature of the oil.
- Cook until brown.
- It will rise to the top.
- When the zeppole rises to the top, turn over to cook the other side of it to cook evenly.
- Once it is brown take out and drain on paper towels.
- While they are still warm sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
- **Makezeppole's in batches.
- Between batches, check the oil temperature to make sure it is still hot enough.
- It will cool down as you make the zeppole.