Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from my mother's recipe box.
Make and share this Zeppole recipe from Food.com.
- Sprinkle yeast into water.
- Let stand for a few minutes; then stir till dissolved.
- Beat in egg, flour, and salt.
- When smooth, cover and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Beat down, and let rise until doubled again.
- Drop by Tablespoonfuls into 1 inch of hot (375°F) oil.
- When browned on one side, turn and brown on other side.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Can be rolled in, or sprinkled with sugar.
- Tablespoons of dough can be formed around pieces of fruit, or raisins can be mixed into the dough before frying. Ricotta cheese is a personal favorite.
This recipe is wonderful. My husband's family is from Bari, Italy, and always made the non-sweet zeppoles for Christmas Eve. Our recipe uses 5 pounds of flour. I'm so glad to find this recipe, which is so light and delicious. Thanks, Marie!!
I was actually looking for beignet recipes but couldn't find any on Zaar so went for the Italian equivalent. While very yummy and easy to make they do take a little more time and didn't turn out as light. But definitely worth a go.