Recipe by BlueDoxie
This recipe came about from a number of experiments on my part. I found I didn't like the less-than-natural liquid smoke flavor they add to ham hocks these days, so I searched for an alternative. Country Ham Chips are made by Stadler's Country Ham. They are chopped up, uncooked pieces of country ham that I found at my local Food Lion store.
- 10 ounces country ham (Country Ham Chips)
- 16 ounces split peas, picked clean
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 14 cups water (around-about)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Take out bay leaves and meat. Discard bay leaves and allow meat to cool a bit. Using blender or hand blender, puree soup until smooth.
- De-fat meat and shred into soup-size pieces. Put back into the soup.
- I usually allow the soup to cool fully in the fridge overnight and skim the fat off of the soup, but that is up to personal preference.
- Serve with crusty bread.