Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this online at zenhabits.net and made it for a Memorial Day cookout. It's easy to make, delicious, and vegan friendly! You don't have to simmer this for a full 30 minutes, but it allows the flavors to come together better the longer you leave it.
- 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian ground beef (Morning Star Meal Starters)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (29 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- black pepper
- chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Saute onions, then garlic, then bell pepper.
- Add ground beef replacement (it's okay if still frozen) and brown.
- Add in beans, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. Add chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Great recipe...made for PAC Fall'07!! Quick and wonderfully easy...hits all the right buttons when you are craving a hot, flavorful meal with not a lot of time on hand (and so much better than the take-out route)...I had everything to make this right in my cupboard and fridge as stocked staples except the veg. meat (- I just used a different brand as a sub that I find at my local market) - it's a nice change for me to have "meat" in chili (usually mine is all beans and veggies)... I added extra spice 'cause I like it hot&spicy!!:) Nice and thick with fabulous flavors. A healthy 30min. meal that makes fantastic leftovers (chili is always better the next day, and the next day too :) ) Don't forget to rinse and drain the beans and recycle all the cans!!! THANKS Linzoraurus :)