Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Cooking Pleasures' magazine based on a French soup. For added richness, substitute whipping cream for some of the whole milk. A good loaf of crusty bread would be most appropos! Be my guest and play around with the apple cider/vegetables stock proportions;-I did.
- In a large stock pot, place the parsnips, apple cider and vegetable stock. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medim, simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until the parsnips are fork-tender.
- In a saute pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the chopped Granny Smith apples; cooking 5 minutes. Add the cognac if using, cook another 12-15 minutes or until the apples are lighty browned and tender; stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the apple mixture to the pot with the parsnips. Add in the milk, salt, and white pepper. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Cook soup, without burning, until heated through completely.
- Garnish with the lemon thyme.