Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from Mr. Food's Cookie cookbook. This recipe doesn't last long at our house.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder until well mixed.
- Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave or over low heat on the stove.
- Place half of the batter into a medium-sized bowl and stir in the melted chocolate.
- Spread evenly in a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Drop tablespoons of the remaining batter over the chocolate batter and drag the blade of a butter knife through the batter to create zebra stripes. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
This was a hit with everyone here. I had some problems with how the recipe is put together. My mix was so thick that there was no way I could drop tablespoons onto the base and drag a knife through it, so I just spread the mix on top and then sprinkled on the walnuts and remaining chocolate chips. I used the zaar conversion to change this recipe to metric.