1/1 Photo of Zea's Roasted Corn Grits
A version of the most popular side at Zea Rotisserie and Grill. The prep times includes corn roasting. Update 6-19-11: I prefer the use of 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 water for cooking the grits. The usual amount reqired for 1 cup of grits is 3 cups of liquid. So that would be 1 1/2 cups stock plus 1 1/2 cups water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ears fresh corn on the cob
- 1 cup onion, chopped fine (no more or it will overpower the taste)
- 1 -2 garlic, toes minced
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup yellow corn grits (like Quaker Golden or Red Mill,do not use instant)
- chicken stock (in place of water according to package directions(see note in recipe description)
- salt and pepper (or can use Cajun seasoning)
- 1Remove husk from corn and roast on grill until slightly blackened. Remove the corn from the cob. Lightly chop the corn. (Also, see other roasting methods in 'note' below).
- 2Melt butter in a large skillet and saute the onions until slightly soft; add garlic and cook until both are softened.
- 3With chicken stock (or slightly less than 1 1/2 cups stock & 1 1/2 cups water), prepare the grits according to the package directions. Grits should be very soft.
- 4When the grits are almost done, add the corn kernels, sauteed onions and garlic, and cream. Simmer, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or longer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Can garnish with thinly sliced green onions.
- 5Note: Kernels of corn can be cut off and roasted in a cast iron skillet in the oven or soak the corn in its husk in cold water for 30 minutes, then roast the whole ear in the husk on a grill about 20 minutes. Can, also, be roasted or in the oven for about 30 minutes. Once the corn is done, the silk is very easy to remove.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zea's Roasted Corn Grits
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.4
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 56.0 mg
- Sodium 65.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g