1/4 Photos of Zaugg Family Favorite Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef on the coast's Note:
After making bread for many years - and experimenting with different ingredients and family tastes - I believe this tops the cake! I have discovered while working with whole wheat and bread making that you have to let the wheat flour "sponge" so the bread doesn't end up heavy. This recipe combines white flour, wheat flour and oatmeal. For us, it's a great way to use leftover cooked oatmeal from breakfast. My kids and DH go through approximately 7 loaves a week!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl add yeast, gluten, salt, sugar, oatmeal, whole wheat flour and water. Mix well.
- 2Cover. Let this mixture sit for 30-40 minutes. This is called sponging.
- 3Add vegetable oil and mix well.
- 4Add enough white flour to make a non-sticky soft dough. Knead 10 minutes.
- 5Place in greased bowl and let rise until double. About 30 minutes.
- 6Punch dough down.
- 7Divide dough between 4 greased bread pans. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- 8Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 9Cool on wire racks.
- 10Note: If you are grinding your own wheat - adjust the coarsness of the flour for different textures. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zaugg Family Favorite Bread
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.0
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 117.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: