Recipe by omeomy #2
Zatarains was the real thing and boxes of it were found in just about every home in New Orleans. We also like to add 2-3 lemons, quartered, to the water. This is enough for 5lbs shrimp or a dozen blue swimmers.
Top Review by AmyZoe
Wow! I'd never heard of a crab boil mix until it asked for it in a shrimp cocktail recipe. Who knew this was the real Cajun way to prepare shrimp? Very tasty stuff. Thank you for posting your recipe and saving me a trip to the store.
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons dill seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients well, crushing slightly. Place all on a muslin or cheesecloth square, gather corners and tie securely.
- When the water for the seafood is boiling add the crab boil sachet along with plenty of salt. Continue boiling until the water takes on color before adding seafood.