From: "Spain on a Plate" by Maria Josi Sevilla BBC Books Zarzuela is a Catalan fish dish which can be delicious or a disaster depending on where you eat it or who cooks it. Serves six
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and grated
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded, and finely chopped
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed (thin slices)
- 4 almonds, toasted and skinned
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 14 ounces lobsters, cooked
- 7 ounces squid
- 4 cutlets monkfish
- 4 cutlets halibut
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 prawns, uncooked
- 4 live dublin bay prawns
- 16 mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 8 large clams, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces Spanish brandy
- 1If the lobster is fresh, it must be cooked first Also cook the Dublin prawns first Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and fry the onions over a low heat, adding a few drops of water.
- 2When the onions are lightly golden, add the tomatoes until the oil separates and appears at the top , then put to one side. This is the "sofrito" Heat a little more oil and fry the bread.
- 3Place in a mortar with the almonds and 1 1/2 cloves of garlic and pound together to a fine paste or "picada" Put to one side To prepare the lobster, split it in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the intestinal vein which runs down the tail.
- 4To prepare the squid, pull the head, and tentacles away from the body.
- 5Pull off and discard the skin.
- 6Split the body in half to remove and discard the transparent bond section.
- 7Cut off the tentacles above the eye. Discard head and material inside the squid Wash remaining squid and slice. Season the monkfish,halibut, and lobster with salt and dust with a little flour.
- 8Heat a little oil and brown each fish separately, then the same with the prawns, squid and Dublin Bay prawns.
- 9As each is finished cooking drain, and arrange in a large flameproof earthenware dish.
- 10Add the mussels and clams.
- 11Add the remaining garlic and parsley and stand the dish over low heat. Pour over the brandy and flambe.( Light on fire) Pour in the "sofrito", just cover with hot water, bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes until the clams and mussels have opened.
- 12Discard any that remain closed.
- 13Mix in the "picada" and season to taste with salt. Cook for a further 5 minutes and serve immediately.
- 14IF YOU HAVE ANY ENERGY LEFT, enjoy!
Nutritional Facts for Zarzuela
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 225.5 mg
- Sodium 824.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 32.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: