1/1 Photo of Zarela's Famous Creamy Rice Casserole from Aaron Sanchez
1 hr 15 mins
I love Aaron Sanchez. He is one of my favorite TV chefs. He runs a number of restaurants. The one he runs with his mother is called Zarela's, his mother's first name. He was on a show called, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" with his mother. His choice was Zarela's creamy, cheesy rice dish. This is what Zarela wrote after the show. I am posting it here so I don't lose the recipe. "I was just on the Food Network show The Best Thing I Ever Ate with my son, chef and Food Network star, Aaron Sanchez and within minutes viewers were going to my web site www.zarela.com, signing up for updates and writing me to share the recipe. Thank you very much for your interest and I hope you enjoy our famous creamy rice casserole. This is a superior party dish that can be easily pre-assembled and reheated just prior to serving. This is why it is high on the list of all caterers in Northern Mexico, myself included. What makes it a favorite of all eaters is that it has layers of flavors - creamy and hot, crunchy corn kernels, and the cilantro adds a refreshing after-taste."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups converted rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn
- 1/2 lb grated white cheddar cheese
- 1Bring water to a boil and add butter and salt. When the butter is melted add the rice and bring back to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and cover the rice with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, Take rice out of the saucepan and spread on a baking sheet to cool or allow to cool in the pan uncovered.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the sour cream with the 1/4 cup chopped onion and cilantro and add salt to taste.
- 3Heat the lard in a frying pan and add the 1/2 cup chopped onion and garlic.
- 4Dice the poblanos and add to pan when the onion is wilted.
- 5Saute for one minute.
- 6Let cool and combine with the rice.
- 7Drain the can of corn well and add to the cool rice and poblano mixture.
- 8Add the sour cream mixture and mix in the grated cheese.
- 9Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through in a 350 degree oven.
- 10If using a Pyrex dish, the oven temperature should be 325 degrees.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zarela's Famous Creamy Rice Casserole from Aaron Sanchez
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 900.2
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 103.2 mg
- Sodium 1600.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 27.0 g