Zardalu Polo - Persian Lamb and Apricot Pilaf
- Heat butter in heavy pan and fry onion until golden.
- Add meat and brown on all sides.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Mix in raisins and apricots.
- Add water (about 3/4 cup) to cover.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Stir occasionally to prevent scorching, adding water if necessary.
- Texture should be thick but pourable.
- Boil 4 cups water, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and rice.
- Bring to boil again and boil 2 minutes, then reduce heat, cover pan and cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes or until almost tender.
- Fluff with fork.
- Arrange rice and stew in alternate layers in heavy saucepan, beginning and ending with layers of rice.
- Set over very low heat, stretch clean cloth over pot and place cover over cloth.
- Steam 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.