1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean lamb fillets, cubed
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons seedless raisins, preferably golden
- 4 ounces fresh apricots or 4 ounces dried apricots, halved
- 2 cups long-grain rice, washed in 3 changes of water
- 1Heat butter in heavy pan and fry onion until golden.
- 2Add meat and brown on all sides.
- 3Season to taste with salt, pepper, turmeric and cinnamon.
- 4Mix in raisins and apricots.
- 5Add water (about 3/4 cup) to cover.
- 6Cover and simmer over very low heat 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 7Stir occasionally to prevent scorching, adding water if necessary.
- 8Texture should be thick but pourable.
- 9Boil 4 cups water, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and rice.
- 10Bring to boil again and boil 2 minutes, then reduce heat, cover pan and cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes or until almost tender.
- 11Fluff with fork.
- 12Arrange rice and stew in alternate layers in heavy saucepan, beginning and ending with layers of rice.
- 13Set over very low heat, stretch clean cloth over pot and place cover over cloth.
- 14Steam 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zardalu Polo - Persian Lamb and Apricot Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.7
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 110.9 mg
- Sodium 161.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 22.7 g