Recipe by YummySmellsca
This is a great way to "sneak" veggies in on your family and friends (or yourself!) - the taste of the sweet, tangy apple overpowers the bland zucchini and the whole mixture melds into a thick, rich spread perfect for toast or baking.
- 5 large apples, stemmed and coarsely grated (leave peels and cores)
- 350 g about 1 large zucchini, coarsely grated (leave peel on)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix apples, zucchini and apple juice in a covered casserole.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours, until very broken down.
- Allow to cool slightly, then run through a food mill to remove hard pieces of core and skin.
- Stir in cinnamon and add puree back to the casserole dish.
- Re-cover and bake another hour, then remove the lid and bake a further 30-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until dark brown and very thick.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 6 months.