Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Traditional Russian recipe from a friend of my grandmothers and found in her recipe box.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk (do not use nonfat milk)
- 2 cups sour cream
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Wash the cauliflower and split into florets, boil in lightly salted water for 5 minutes, and then drain in a colander.
- Saute the flour in 2 tbsp butter until golden brown, add another 2 tbsp butter and the milk, stirring continuously with a whisk.
- Allow to thicken a little then stir in the sour cream. Season then simmer 5 minutes more, stirring regularly.
- Pour the cauliflower florets into a greased oven proof dish, pour over the hot sauce, sprinkle with the cheese and bake in a 400°F oven until golden brown.
Major indulgence! Creamy, cheesy and perfect. I used light sour cream (only 1 1/2 cups) and it worked out fine. Plenty of creamy sauce. I think I'll do this with broccoli sometime as well. Thanx!
The taste of the cauliflower was delicious, but way too soft. The 55 minute cooking direction was too long. Next time I'll shorten it by at least 25 minutes. Great taste, new fave!
Very nice! I bought an intriguing-looking Romanesco cauliflower and needed a way to cook it, and this fit the bill - I didn't really want a heavy cheese sauce, and this sour cream sauce was (although rich) surprisingly light and complemented the cauliflower well. When I reheated the leftovers, I added in some rice, fresh diced tomato, cubanelle pepper and lots of cilantro, which I thought paired nicely with the sauce.