Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
POSTED FOR ZWT 4. A vegetarian main dish from Zanzibar, which is part of Tanzania. I am uncertain about cooking and prep times!! The recipe was written down by Troth Well. It is served with vegetables and rice, sometimes with Jollof Rice. As usual I had to guess prep times and did not include the possible preparation of the black-eyed peas (or beans).
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (or powder, this is called chillies in Africa)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1 cup coconut, dessicated (the dried coconut flakes)
- 1 cup black-eyed peas, cooked (use tinned if you like)
- 1 cup potato, diced and parboiled
- lemon juice (to taste, lime is more often used)
- 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable or coconut oil)
- Heat oil and sizzle the garlic and chilli powder for half a minute.
- Next, add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and cilantro. Cook another minute or so, stirring often.
- Add the coconut and fold it into the mixture. Add the cooked beans and potatoes.
- Season, and add the lemon or lime juice. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until everything is blended together.
- This is served with green vegetables and rice.
this was different from anything i have ever eaten before. the mix of the spices, heat, and sweet coconut was actually very good! i used canned peas and served with lettuce. made for zwt4