Recipe by Ninna
My friend Zan made this for a party and it was so good she had to share the recipe with several of her friends. It is a chocolaty, nutty, meringue dessert and goes beautifully with strawberries & cream (or ice-cream). The quantities for a 10" tins are in directions. Cadbury dark Old Jamaica chocolate is an Australian brand with rum and raisins, but any really good quality dark chocolate would be fine.
- 200 g almonds, with skins on
- 200 g pitted dates
- 200 g dark chocolate (Cadbury Old Jamaican is very nice)
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180degC (350degF) and cut circle of baking paper to fit bottom of 8" springform tin, lightly grease or spray sides of tin - quantities for 10" below.
- Break chocolate into bits, put into blender or food processor, with almonds, this will be very noisy.
- Blend until almonds are ground, but not too finely, you might still have some chunks of chocolate, but that's OK.
- Chop dates into smallish pieces.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until they start to stiffen; add castor sugar gradually as you continue whipping.
- Quickly fold dates, chocolate and nuts into egg whites, spoon mixture into tin and bake for 45 (8 inches) 50 mins (10 inches) in middle of oven - top should have a solid but not rock hard crust.
- Turn oven off, leave cake in there for about an hour with door slightly open to cool.
- Turn cake out; put in very cool place or in fridge overnight (best made the night before, or at least quite few hours before).
- For a 10" springform tin, quantities are 250g almonds, 250g dates, 250g chocolate, 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar.