Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
The BEST garlic sauce on the planet can be found at Zankou's Chicken. Those who know this place know their recipe is a very closely-guarded secret. Serve with a Lebanese (or other Mediterranean) chicken (or beef) dish like Excite Me Tonight! Chicken!. Also great with chicken or beef shawarma. I lined pita shells with this sauce and loaded them up with chicken, lettuce, tomato and roasted peppers and onions. Just make sure you aren't coming face to face with anyone for the next month or so... WHEW! Garlic!
Top Review by Maito
Extreme garlicness (as you say) and extreme deliciousness! We just loved this, and want to figure out how else to serve it. I halved the salt and oil (so it was thicker, but that was OK with us) and used a really good olive oil, which I think made a huge difference. Served 5 for us, since we couldn't get enough!
- 3 small russet potatoes
- 1 head garlic (12-14 cloves. It's a LOT. Be afraid.)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and boil in water until soft. Mash and let cool.
- Crush and peel a whole head of garlic. Cut into quarters. Place raw garlic in a heavy duty blender with the salt and lemon juice. Pour a light layer of oil onto garlic. Puree the garlic, salt lemon juice on high and begin pouring a slow steady stream of the rest of the oil through the blender's handle hole until everything has mixed.
- At this point, you'll have extreme garlickiness (new word), which some people like, but for "texturizing" like Zankou's, you'll need the taters.
- Add the mashed potatoes, about 2-3 tablespoons at a time and mix. Continue adding/blending potato until the sauce is mixed well. At some point in this process, you might consider changing blending vessels. After all this work, my blender was starting to think twice about helping me out.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to chill completely in the fridge. After about an hour, the flavors will blend together nicely and the texture will take on that library paste consistency like Zankou's sauce.